Purchasing new carpet can be a significant investment and, like other fine furnishings, requires proper care to lengthen its life and keep it looking nice for many years. Carpet fibers won’t necessarily wear away, but appearance can deteriorate over time and becomes less attractive. There are steps you can take to prolong the life of your carpet, particularly when talking about synthetic or man-made fibers. (These suggestions may not be appropriate for natural fibers such as wool.)
- Place mats at all door entrances to absorb soil and moisture, preventing outside elements from being tracked into your home and carpet. (Clean mats regularly so they don’t harbor soil themselves.)
- Always purchase quality padding under your carpet because it provides resiliency underfoot and extends the life of your carpet.
- Move around furniture on occasion to avoid excessive crushing. Furniture coasters can help distribute weight and prevent mashing the pile. Avoid using chairs or appliances with rollers or casters on carpet without a chair pad designed for carpet.
- When moving heavy wheeled furniture across your carpets, be sure to place cardboard or plywood between the wheels and the carpet to prevent damage.
- When using fine area rugs on top of carpet, be sure to remove and clean them regularly. And, clean and restore the pile of the carpet underneath, and let dry completely before placing the area rug on top again. .
- Use shades, blinds, and awnings to protect your carpet from prolonged periods of direct sunlight.
These steps will help prolong the life of your carpet. But, no matter how much care you provide your carpet though, it will eventually require professional cleaning. When you are in need of carpet cleaning services, whether residential or commercial, call Big M Services.